Imagine having a party in the evening and checking your smoker in the morning, and it isn't clean enough to use. Has this ever happened to you?
I have been in the same situation plenty of times. This has left me wondering how to clean Masterbuilt smoker?
With hours of research and ample trial and error, I have developed my cleaning routine, which is scientific, effective, and easy to follow. The step-by-step procedure explains the smoker cleaning routine I follow.
How to Clean Masterbuilt Smoker? Two Methods Explained
To clean Masterbuilt smoker, you have to use Coca-Cola/apple cider vinegar for the interiors, soapy solution for the window, hot soap solution for removable parts, and normal damp cloth for the exterior.
Below is the step-by-step guide to clean every Masterbuilt smoker part.
Things you need to clean Masterbuilt smoker:
- Hot water
- Soft cloth
- Microfiber cloth
- Apple cider vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Masterbuilt smoker manual
The two methods below are suitable for cleaning the interiors. The method to clean the exteriors and the windows are common and shared below these two alternatives.
Method 1: Using Apple Cider Vinegar
Step 1: Firstly, you have to remove the components which you can from the Masterbuilt smoker. It can include components like the rack, drip tray, smoker box, water bowl, and so on. Also, you have to disconnect the Masterbuilt smoker.
Step 2: Mix vinegar and water in equal proportion to create the right mixture. After that, you have to spray it inside the smoker.
Step 3: Use a paper towel to wipe the interior walls of the smoker.
Step 4: After wiping the solution clean, you have to repeat the procedure once again.
Apple cider vinegar will also take care of rust.  That is why it not only cleans your smoker but also increases its lifespan.
If you do not have this vinegar at your home, you can try the 2nd method, which I am highlighting.
Method 2: Using Coca Cola
- The 1st step is similar to the method above.
- Put Coca-Cola in a spray bottle and spray it in the smoker's interior.
- Use paper towels in the same way to clean Coca-Cola. You have to repeat this procedure twice.
Coca-Cola will take care of the residue and the stains in the interior of the smoker. Coke's PH level of 2.5 is the reason it is so effective.
How to Clean the Removable Components of a Masterbuilt Smoker?
- Clean the ash and the residue by scraping it off from the removable parts. You can do so using a soft cloth. Alternatively, you can use a scraper for the same.
- Use a grill brush to apply hot soapy water to the removable parts after removing the residue.
- Apply the soapy water solution to every removable part. Once you have done that, place all the parts in the kitchen sink.
- Turn ON the tap above the sink and remove all the soapy solution from the removable parts. Allow the parts to air dry.
How to Clean the Exteriors of the Masterbuilt Smoker?
- Take a damp cloth and wipe the exteriors of the smoker.
- Apply vinegar mix to the exteriors once you have wiped them clean.
- Once again, wipe the exteriors of the smoker clean with a microfiber cloth and let it dry.
How to Clean the Windows of the Masterbuilt Smoker?
Not all Masterbuilt smokers have windows. However, if your smoker does have one, follow the procedure below to clean the window.
- Use the soap solution to clean the window of the Masterbuilt smoker.
- After spraying the soap solution, use a scrubber to remove the stains and other residues from the glass.
- If there are stubborn stains or grease, you have to let the soap solution stay on the glass before scrubbing it.
The entire procedure might sound elaborate, but I can complete it fairly quickly once I procure the necessary supplies. The results of this procedure will surely surprise you since it will clean the Masterbuilt smoker quite thoroughly.
Precautions to Take While Cleaning Masterbuilt Smoker
Of course, following so many steps can be cumbersome and can lead to a mistake. That is why; I will share with you a few precautions to take.
Let It Cool Down
Never clean a hot smoker. The chances of suffering from a burn are pretty high when you do so.
Additionally, the effectiveness of the cleaning methods also reduces when the temperature of the smoker components is on the higher side.
It is best to let the smoker cool down. Even if it takes 5 to 6 hours to cool down, you have to wait it out.
Remove the Parts
Every removable part in the smoker should be removed before cleaning the interiors. Of course, the procedure for cleaning the removable parts is entirely different (highlighted above).
If you aren't sure which part is removable, it is a good idea to refer to the smoker's manual. That will let you know right away which parts you can remove and clean separately.
Let It Air Dry
Most methods highlighted above require you to apply a solution or a mixture to the smoker part. Even after scrubbing it or washing it away, the smoker parts are likely to remain damp.
The best way to let the smoker and the parts dry down is to let them air dry. You shouldn't use something like a hairdryer or any other artificial solution to accelerate the drying process.
The best practice is to clean the Masterbuilt smoker at least a day before use.
Do Not Ignore Cleaning
Many consumers ignore the maintenance of the smoker. That is why; they often do not clean the smoker for months.
If you have put such a lot of gaps in between the cleaning sessions, the process becomes much more complicated. Ideally, you should clean the smoker at least once a month if you use it every weekend or so.
Do make sure that you follow these few precautions to make the entire cleaning process efficient and easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should you clean a Masterbuilt electric smoker?
The best way to maintain a Masterbuilt electric smoker is to clean it every 4 to 5 uses. That way, you won't have to worry about stubborn stains, grease deposited over a long period.
2. How do you clean out the mold from a Masterbuilt electric smoker?
- Remove most interior components from the smoker.
- Heat the smoker to burn off mold and grease.
- Once it cools down, use a scraper to scrub the surface on which mold is present.
- Post that, use a soapy water solution to wash the surface.
- Rinse the surface with normal water and let it dry.
In case the mold is not eliminated in a single attempt, you have to repeat the procedure.
3. How to prevent mold growth in an electric smoker?
The best way to prevent mold from growing in the electric smoker is to clean it after every use.
Another tip to follow is to superheat the smoker after every use. Once you do so, you can burn away all the residue and food particles. That will devoid the mold of their food sources, and therefore the probability of mold growing in your electric smoker is almost nil.
I have used this procedure every time to make my Masterbuilt smoker look as good as new. Instead of using any cumbersome cleaning mechanisms which cost a lot of time and effort, it is best to stick to my guide.
No need to search, how to clean masterbuilt smoker everytime. Simply bookmark this article and use it as a blueprint.
SeaRanchLodge.com is a participant in the Amazon Associate program and will earn from qualifying purchases.