Cutting boards often become the most ignored character in the cinema we make in our kitchens. They remain unattended for an uncertain period in wet conditions.
As a result, you may find your cutting board warping with pain in one corner, shedding tears from its cracks. If you don’t want to see this scene, you need to maintain your cutting board properly.
But if it has already warped, you need to take quick steps to fix the board. So, do you do that? Follow us as we show you the most common causes for warping and how to fix warped cutting boards.
Let’s get started.
Why Did Cutting Board Warped?
Cutting boards can warp or crack for many reasons. We will try to explore some of the most common causes. Know why your cutting board isn’t in mint condition.
Improper Seasoning and Treatment
Cutting boards are mostly made of natural wood. This material is moisture absorbent. If the board isn’t seasoned and treated properly before making the board, it will draw moisture from the atmosphere.
It will also absorb a lot of moisture when you wash the board or soak it in water for a long time.
As a result, the board might warp or even crack in the worst cases. You will also feel some odor from the board if it absorbs too much moisture.
Wrong Washing Methods
Even if your cutting board is seasoned regularly by oil or treated, you should properly wash the board after every use. Many of us tend to soak the cutting board in water to remove stubborn residue. But this might severely damage the cutting board and cause heavy warping.
Another important thing to remember is never to leave your cutting board in hot water. The heat will damage the natural fibers of the board, and it will crack very easily.
Wrong Drying Methods
In most cases, our cutting boards are dried on one side because we don’t even remember to turn them over. For this reason, one side of the board will dry out faster than the other side. This will cause heavy warping in your cutting boards.
If you place wet cloths or sponges on the cutting board for a long time, it can also warp the cutting board.
How to Fix a Warped Cutting Board to Keep Them Straighten Out?
It is a great pain to see your favorite cutting board getting warped. But if the situation comes, you need to take the necessary steps to get the board back on track. Here will be some effective methods to fix a curved cutting board.
Fix It by Using Water and Heavy Objects: Easy but Lengthy
This method is for beginners who fear damaging their cutting boards while fixing. Let’s get over the details of the safest way.
- First of all, you need to soak the warped cutting board in the water. Submerge the board all the way down into the water so that it absorbs enough moisture.
- The soaking time will depend on the level of warp. If the board is thin and slightly warped, soaking for a few hours will be fine. But if the board is thick and heavily warped, you might need to soak it overnight.
- After soaking the board properly, take it out of the water and place it on an even surface. If possible, put a plank larger than the board on it and add some serious weight to the plank.
- The target here is to create pressure so that the wet cutting board gets back into its original shape. You can also use wood clamps if available, but putting other weights will also work.
- This is a steady process. It will take about two to three days for the board to completely dry. You shouldn’t remove weights until the board fully dries. If properly done, this might push the warped side back into place, and you will get a revived board.
By Using Iron Steaming Method: Easy and Fast
This method is very effective in fixing warped cutting boards. Follow this method only if your cutting board is less thick than one inch. Here you go.
- You will need a domestic iron and a wet towel to fix your cutting board in this method.
- Soaking the board in water might help in the process, but it isn't mandatory. We will start by placing the board on a flat surface. Remember to keep the warped side up.
- Wet the towel and cover the cutting board with the towel. Make sure all parts of the towel are wet and fully cover the cutting board.
- Turn on the iron and tune it to the highest temperature setting. You will need a lot of heat to fix the cutting board.
- Once the iron is properly heated, place it on the towel and iron the cutting board. You also need to apply some pressure so that the warped board bends back into its original shape.
- The steam from the wet towel will soften the wood fibers. This will make the board ready to absorb heat and pressure. The latter two will straighten out the warped surface by pushing wood fibers down.
- Remember, the method won’t work if you have Teflon cutting boards.
Steam Bending Method: A Bit Tricky but Effective
Professionals use this method to bend wooden boards. You can use the technique on a much smaller scale to fix your warped cutting boards.
- The process is kind of similar to the previous method. You will need a large pot and a heavy-duty colander to fix your cutting board.
- Firstly, fill up half of the pot with water and place it on the stove. Crank the heat and let the water boil. Once you see steam coming out, put the colander over the pot.
- Then place your cutting board on the colander. Make sure the warped side faces down when placing the board.
- Rigorously steaming the board might cause cracks. So, you need to be low and slow in the process.
- Gently steam the cutting board for a few hours and keep an eye on the board to check whether it comes back to its original shape. Also, keep checking the water level so that the pot doesn’t run out of water.
- After removing the board from the steam, put some weight on the board so that it remains even while drying.
- This method won’t work if you have a nylon cutting board.
Sanding Warped Board
If no previous methods can fix your warped board, you can follow this method to get the board back into mint condition. But be careful; this method needs some woodworking experience.
- You will need a wood plane or belt sander to fix the board. The essential tool will depend on whether your cutting board has edge grain or end grain.
- If the board has edge gain, you can use the plane to shave off the uneven surface from the board. This will take the board back into its original shape. Don’t shave too much, or you will make the board too thin.
- But if your cutting board has end grain, you need to sand the board with a belt sander. Continue to lightly sand the board down until it becomes even. This wood warping fix is highly effective.
Do All Cutting Boards Warp? [Answered]
It will depend on several factors. Usually, wooden cutting boards are more prone to warping and cracking if you don’t maintain them properly.
Bamboo or other cutting boards will also warp if you unnecessarily soak them in water or dry them unevenly.
As moisture doesn’t cause Teflon or nylon to swell, these cutting boards might not warp in humid conditions. But putting excessive pressure on these boards for a long time might slightly bend them, which can be reversed.
How to Prevent Cutting Board from Warping
Seeing your cutting board warped and cracked might be a great loss. To prevent this, you can take the following steps.
- Treating the board is the first thing you can do to prevent warping. As untreated boards absorb a lot of moisture and warp in turn, you need to apply the right sealant to control moisture. Food-grade mineral oil will also work.
- Never soak the cutting board in water for a long time. If you need to wash the board, take a wet sponge and dip it into a soap solution. Scrub the board with the sponge and wipe it with a damp towel.
- When drying the wet board, try to turn the sides every once in a while so that the board dries evenly.
Many home cooks and professional chefs prefer wooden cutting boards for their versatility, ease of use, and durability. But moisture can cause warps and cracks in wooden cutting boards.
Cracks are irreparable, but you can fix a warped cutting board. A cutting plastic board can also be fixed if it warps.
We have mentioned some of the most effective methods so that you can fix the board on your own. And follow the preventive measures to keep your favorite cutting board from warping.
SeaRanchLodge.com is a participant in the Amazon Associate program and will earn from qualifying purchases.