Winemaker & Brewmaster Dinners
Cheers! A Toast to Good Times & Great Terroir
Our hotel is fortunate to be located in an area renowned for fine wine and acclaimed craft brews. To celebrate this abundance, our Mendocino Coast restaurant showcases regional offerings at special events throughout the year, hosted by local winemakers and brewmasters with spectacular oceanfront dining. During these intimate evenings, our guest hosts share their philosophies and experiences making wine or beer. These popular dinners are a wonderful way to savor some of the pleasures of Sea Ranch Lodge – great food and drink; a cozy, inviting setting; and friends old and new.
Join us for a delectable tasting menu created to highlight the wines or brews selected for each event. Seating is limited at these special evenings; please make reservations in advance. To extend the fun: stay the weekend in our luxurious coastal hotel at special savings for guests of our dinner events.
Join us for an evening of exceptional wine and food on Friday, February 17. Hosted by Sea Ranch Lodge and Trione Vineyards and Winery.
2015 Russian River Valley Sauvignon Blanc
Our River Road Ranch is in the heart of the Russian River Valley with well-drained gravel and clay loam soils, the fifteen-year-old vines grow fantastic fruit. The Sauvignon Blanc was hand harvested and whole bunch pressing of the fruit was the method utilized in the making of this wine. Half of the juice was placed into a selection of neutral French oak barrels for 4 months, to integrate flavors and structure.
2014 Russian River Valley Chardonnay
Time honored, traditional and hand crafted. This Chardonnay is selected, row by row, bunch by bunch in our Russian River Ranch vineyard. The hand-picked, whole clusters of grapes are placed into the press and gently squeezed to extract the juice. The juice is then cold settled with no additions made. After 24-36 hours of cold settling the juice is transferred to 100% French oak barrels in which 40% are new. The remaining 60% of the barrels are 1 - 2 years old. A special mix of the previous vintage's lees is added to the juice as well as selection of new yeast. The wine is stirred extensively (batonage) from fermentation until mid-May.
2013 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
Traditional techniques such as open top fermentations and hand plunging the cap during primary fermentation were implemented in the wine making process. To accentuate the fruit component, 20% of the grapes were added whole cluster to the bottom of the fermenter. The cuvee or blend is a mix of clones from our Russian River Ranch. Clones 115, 777, UCD37, and Pommard were each selected to show the unique characteristics and distinct profiles in the wine.
2012 Russian River Valley Syrah
The wine is a 50/50 blend of the French sourced clones 470 and 877. The wine is fermented with a large portion of whole berries in open top fermenters and hand plunged up to four times per day to allow for maximum extraction of flavor and color from the skins. The whole berries retain the deep dark blackberry fruit character that is so intense in this wine. In addition to the Syrah, 5% Viognier is added to the mix to add a floral aromatic component to the wine. This cool climate Syrah embodies all the best characteristics of this style of wine.
2012 Alexander Valley Henry's Blend
Henry's Blend pays tribute to the Trione family patriarch, Henry Trione. The wine is an estate blend of the five classic Bordeaux varieties: 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 34% Merlot, 13% Petite Verdot, 13% Cabernet Franc, and 5% Malbec. The wine is soft and supple on the palate, a seamless integration of ripe fruit, French oak and fine-grained tannins. Aged 18 months in 40% new French oak barrels.
2011 Alexander Valley, Block 21, Cabernet Sauvignon
Our Block 21 Cabernet Sauvignon is a single vineyard selection of Cabernet from our Cloverdale Ranch. The vines, planted in 2001 with Bordeaux clone 337, grow in clay and sandy loam soils underlain with a high percentage of gravel. Cabernet Sauvignon grown in this ideal terroirdevelops deep, concentrated flavors and fine, smooth tannins. The blend is 85% Cabernet, 9% Merlot, and 2% each of Petite Verdot, Malbec, and Cabernet Franc. Each lot is fermented separately and barrel aged for about 12 months in 45% new French oak. After blending the wine is returned to barrels to age another 12 months.
2013 Sonoma Coast, Flatridge Ranch, Zinfandel
Flatridge Ranch is a secluded parcel in the Coastal mountain range, west of the Rockpile AVA. The vines are a unique Zinfandel selection called Saint Peter's Church, whose provenance is a 100-year-old block in Cloverdale. Aromas of briarwood and pipe tobacco give way to blackberry pie, toasted macaroons and plums. The wine is velvety, supple and rich with a long, satisfying finish.
For more information please contact Michelle Knutson or Dana Merkling at 707-785-4813